Portable charger loan
All vehicles sold by Go Green Autos are supplied with a suitable portable charger, which allows you to charge your vehicle from a normal mains socket. If the charger isn't included with the vehicle, then we offer a free loan scheme, subject to the conditions below.
This means you can charge over night, so you can start using your new EV daily without worrying about getting to grips with public charging or waiting for a home wall charger to be installed.
What is a portable charger?
A portable charger is simply a cable that plugs into the AC charging port of your electric vehicle and then the other end into a normal 3-pin mains socket. This means you can charge your vehicle anywhere that has electricity e.g, home, work, friends or family, hotels, even a petrol station in an emergency! The chargers are waterproof so can be left outside and are typically used from an outside socket, or a socket in the garage or via an open window, catflap or letterbox.
These chargers only draw 10 amps, so do take longer to charge a vehicle, but most EVs will still charge overnight. The charger needs to draw 10 amps constantly, so the socket used must be an a ring main, not a spur (i.e. two cables supplying the socket, not one).
Why are these called a granny cable? Because you can charge your car when you visit your granny!
Conditions of portable charger loan scheme
- A deposit equal to the full value of the charger is paid when you buy the vehicle. This is normally £329 inc VAT for the 10 meter charger, as we only stock the 10 meter versions now.
- You can keep the charger for up to one month, which allows time for your home wall charger to be installed.
- You can then decide whether to keep the charger (most do as they are handy) or return it.
- If you wish to return the charger, you can either do this in person or send it via the post or by courier. The charger must be properly packaged and protected and the delivery costs are paid by you, the customer.
- The full deposit is refunded upon receipt of the charger providing it is in full working order and in the same condition as it was supplied.
- If when returned, the charger is not working, then the deposit is not refunded. If it is damaged then deductions will be made for repair or compensation. If it is not received or damaged in transit, then the same rules apply and it is up to you to claim from your courier, so the correct level of parcel insurance is highly recommended.
If you have off-street parking, then you should get a wall charger installed. A government grant subsidises the cost, so they can only cost £249. These charge an electric vehicle quicker, are safer and are a far better permanent solution. A portable charger is intended for occasional use or a temporary solution. Using a portable charger is also less efficient than charging at the higher rates on a proper wall charger.
However, some people can only charge their EV via a portable charger. For example, people who do not have off-street parking so cannot install a wall charger on their house. Or drivers who charge at work or on site during the day via a mains socket. Or often owners use a portable charger when at their holiday home or second property.
EVs with smaller battery packs can also be charged in a reasonable amount of time on a portable charger, so many drivers of older EVs charge quite happily by only using a portable charger.
Charging an EV from a terraced house using a portable charger. Just make sure the cable isn't a trip hazard!
Note: The electrical regulations changed on 1st January 2019 which effects the use of portable chargers. Standard mains sockets may not be able to cope with supplying 10-13 amps constantly, so now there is a new heavy duty mains socket which is labelled as "EV". For further information see here. Therefore, if using a portable charger is your permanent solution, then you should get your socket upgraded by an electrician.
Portable Charger purchase
To purchase a charger with your vehicle, the prices are:
- Type 1 or type 2 connector, 5 meter lead - £269 (£224.17+VAT)
- Type 1 or type 2 connector, 10 meter lead - £329 (£274.17+VAT)